Name:
Location: Subang Jaya, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

A real kampong boy who loves doing the kind of things that people these days have forgotten. A guy who loves to be at home with his family and loves to be loved by his family.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

My Little Sideshow

Ah, It's here again. Once in only four years, but it takes a toll of us once it is done. The whole country talks about nothing else but football. My preparation for the world cup got a jolt on the opening day when while having dinner with my wife and daughter, my son calls and tells me the old faithful, my 12 year Sony Trinitron has called it quits. And at 7 pm on the opening day!! Dash home we did. Frantically I tried everything I could to revive the old bugger, but to no avail. Then we mobilised the house. The daughter opens the car door, my son and I carry the mortally wounded down stairs. Straight to the repair shop. But alas, the shop is closed. Damn!
What to do? Son comes with a killer idea as usual. ' Dad buy a new TV lah'. Family conference ensues in the car. Ok , so we head to the row of shops in Taipan selling TV's. A quick survey and a new 29" flat screen is looking good but still not as good as my Sony. ' Why like this? I ask. 'Made in Malaysia mah !', the salesman says. Soooo? Anyways time was running out but wait, another hitch. ' Today cannot deliver mahh, late already mah!'. I felt like throttling him. But he was good enough to lend us a small TV just for the night since he had already swiped my card.
Next day the new TV arrives but the pics aren't good at all. So we call the salesman and he comes and fiddles with the controls. Doesn't get any better. ' I think this one got problem, mah'.
So off we go to the Store and pay another RM 200 for another brand. In it comes and out goes the other.
Time for the match to start. The family is gathered around the new TV. My wife, this time around, decides to watch the World Cup with the three of us. Family bonding. So she nestles herself next to the girl with her favourite drink. Kick off! The picture is better this time. Then it happens again. 'Daddy, what is the strange colour at the corner of the screen?'. ' Oh, Lord, it has happened again!. A strange looking hue appears at the right side of the screen. Mood spoilt.
Wife says that we need to sort it out. This means calling the salesman again and going through the whole rigmarole. Ok, we will do it tomorrow, I say.
So we follow the game. Boring match, only Robben seems to be playing.
Wife sees a glimpse of Franz Beckenbauer. ' Who's the guy?she asks. I say, Franz Beckenbauer.
'Oh, the French President!' she says.
Boy, am I going to enjoy this World Cup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Hit Counters
Free Counters