Name:
Location: Subang Jaya, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

A real kampong boy who loves doing the kind of things that people these days have forgotten. A guy who loves to be at home with his family and loves to be loved by his family.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Something Arabic

My blood sugar got a boost today. At the Al Diafah restaurant in Sri Petaling near the Overseas Union Gardens, a suburb in Kuala Lumpur. My colleague, http://foodthesaurus.blogspot.com had invited me and another colleague for lunch since I had twisted her arm into buying us lunch with her first pay packet. I thought that she would have settled, or rather I would have settled for a simple lunch of noodles. But she had better plans and we were whisked off to Al Diafah in her Kancil. The ride to the restaurant was quite hectic, given the twists, turns and bumps that we had to endure but it did work up an appetite, for me at least.
Al Diafah is really quite a classy outfit. I never realised that a restaurant like this existed in a place like Sri Petaling, no offence to those living in and around there. But we were given to think that these Arabic restaurants would only thrive in places like Bukit Bintang or Ampang. The ambience of the place was really cool. The decor was precise with artifacts from the Middle East placed in quiet corners of the restaurant.
We were served with dates and Arabic coffee first as we sat down. The latter was a mild brown in colour as it was made, not from roasted coffee, but raw. Tasted kind off funny but went well with the dates. Next, we had a little salad before the main course arrived. The main entree was the mixed grill which came in a large plate. It consisted of grilled lamb chops, minced lamb kebabs, chicken and some garnishing. I thought the minced kebabs were nice and juicy, the lamb chops were a little disappointing as they did not have much taste and was rather bland. The chicken, however, was excellent with a tangy flavour. My colleague had also ordered some deep fried vegetable cutlets that came with a kind of salad sauce which was unique but lent a good tinge to the cutlets. Then came some samosas, the kind that you will find in Indian restaurants except that these were stuffed with minced lamb. It was piping hot and was ok.
To finish off the meal we were served with a fruit cocktail and some 'baklova'. The backlova was really sweet and good but at my age I had to restrain myself from going overboard. So I took quite a few little nips of the sweets and washed it down with the fruit cocktail.
The service was comforting. I can't remember whether there was piped music but, ah, when you have good food you tend to lose some of your senses, don't you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Hit Counters
Free Counters