Name:
Location: Subang Jaya, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

A real kampong boy who loves doing the kind of things that people these days have forgotten. A guy who loves to be at home with his family and loves to be loved by his family.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A really good muslim

I have had the pleasure of knowing and working with this person, Rabiatu Abu Bakar, for over 3 years. I first met her when she came to work with me as an intern when she was completing her degree in Public Relations. My first impression of her, with her head scarf and serious disposition was that I had to be careful and sensitive when dealing with her or else I might offend her and her religion since she was a foreigner. She looked pretty conservative.
But over the years, she has not only become to me a colleague but also a kind, gentle and most of all a conscientious friend. 'Rabs', as I would call graduated with a degree in Journalism and was offered a post in the establishment I work for. She writes well and that is a premium in this country where the usage of English has literally gone to the dogs. So she was duly hired to assist me in my work. Although not paid what she was worth she continued to produce and write a vast array of articles for the media. She never complained one bit about her pay and managed to live with the meagre salary all by herself. Through her writings she also became a book reviewer and received a number of by lines in the local press.
Not once have I heard her complain about any one in the office. I would rant, rave and use foul language but she would just smile at me and tell me to take it easy or that the person did that because of a good reason. She would be the pacifier. She would slip out quietly during the day to fulfill her daily prayers.Never one to take sides she was always trying to make things go well with her colleagues.
At times I would tease her about this and that but she would just smile and retort with a nice saying that would make us both laugh. She brought my blood pressure down for sure.
Although many people did not realise it she was the daughter of an ambassador. She carries herself in a dignified manner and has this wonderful disposition that I really admire. I wish sometimes that I could be like her.
She would be leaving this country soon and I for one would really be missing her.She is a true blue muslim.
Good luck my friend and Salam.

1 Comments:

Blogger tony -stand-up philosopher said...

Hi Dave,
Sad huh. Its always the good ones that are leaving. Sometimes when we stumble upon someone who is like Rabs, we say, wah! good Muslim, good Christian, good Hindu, good Buddhist etc. It only goes to show where are all the good people? All that surrounds us are ones that are just the opposite...including me. I wish someone will one day say of me, there goes a good Christian, a consideate person, a good human being. To that end I will strive and teach my children to be as well.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Hit Counters
Free Counters